$50,000 $49,000 (Final Sale Price)
- Year: 1985
- Maker/Trim/Model: Sunrader
- Length: 18FT
- Odometer: 80K
- Drivetrain: 3.4 V6 / 5 speed (R151F)
- State/Region: Oregon
- City/Area: Portland
- Name: SOLD!
- Phone: SOLD!
- Email: SOLD!
More Details & Pictures
I have owned this Sunrader for 12 years and reluctantly need to sell it and upgrade to a larger RV.
- 18’ model
- Extraordinarily rare–one of approximately 26 Sunraders built with factory 4 wheel drive.
- Bought in 2008 for $15,000.00. It was completely stock and unmodified at that time. I bought it from the second owner who had owned it since 2002.
- New 1 ton dually Toyota axle upgrade installed by previous owner.
- Complete 2 year coach-off restoration project completed by Van Specialties, completed in 2010, at total cost of $70,000.00 parts and labor, some individual costs noted below. All weaknesses of original Sunrader fully addressed. See this link for pics: https://www.vanspecialties.
- Mechanical Upgrades by Dimitri’s Auto Service: http://www.
dimitrisautoservice.com/ and ToyOnlySwaps: https://www.toyonlyswaps.com/ , at total cost of $25,000.00, some individual costs noted below
- Mechanical upgrade details
- Rear suspension resprung for better ride/weight capacity, performed by Oregon Auto Spring Service, Inc. ($650)
- New shocks and rear sway bar
- New heavy duty tires (same ones used on commercial logging equipment) in 2018 ($1600)
- New 15” custom wheels by Custom & Commercial Wheel (Bloomington, CA—the only place in the country that builds custom Toyota wheels in this size and the OEM supplier for Toyota RV duallys in the 80s!) ($1200)
- Full brake system upgrade (new front calipers/rotors from mid-1990s Toyota truck, upgraded higher capacity brake booster and master cylinder, braided stainless brake lines)
- Rebuilt R151F turbo transmission (lower first gear and more robust transmission) and rebuilt transfer case from Marlin Crawler: https://www.marlincrawler.com/ and installed by ToyOnlySwaps.
- 22R engine swapped for 3.4 V6 from a Toyota Tundra with only 40K miles completed by ToyOnlySwaps, factory AC added.
- New aluminum radiator
- New horn
- Rear drum brakes rebuilt
- New OEM Toyota e-locker installed in rear differential ($1700 locker only)
- New gas tank.
- Restoration details
- Complete tear down to frame of chassis and walls of RV, removal of all cabinets, bathroom, kitchen, appliances, windows, seats, headliner, plumbing, electrical
- Reinforcement of under-coach frame with new, full width, welded-in steel crossmembers and new 3/4” marine plywood floor
- All overcoach/wheelwell gaps filled in with sealants and custom aluminum strips
- Front windows of coach overcab removed and glassed-in, roof cut off and new, taller, stronger, custom-made molded fiberglass roof built and installed. with new roof, there is now 6’4″ of interior headroom. ($7,300)
- New 3-way refrigerator ($1400)
- New under-bench 8000 btu AC unit will digital thermostat ($1200)
- New propane hot water heater ($400)
- New propane furnace ($500)
- All new plumbing and electrical, new 1800 watt inverter, new charger, new breaker box, new outlets.
- 2 new grey water tanks and 1 new fresh water tanks installed, with new electronic level meters, new water pump.
- All new plywood cabinetry and benches.
- Custom Corian countertop ($800)
- New Fantastic fan, bathroom fan.
- All LED interior lights with 5 separate zones.
- Deep stainless steel sink.
- New 2 burner stove.
- Roof of overcab reinforced with glassed in wood stringers.
- 150 watt solar panel mounted to overcab with custom aluminum mounts, full solar charging system installed ($1800)
- 2 new AGM 6 volt batteries (replaced in 2018) installed in custom steel frame-mounted battery tray
- Custom steel frame-mounted spare tire holder.
- New 1” foam insulation throughout, wall studs mounted to fiberglass with high quality adhesive.
- Custom one-piece stainless steel show pan ($1200)
- New Thetford Cassette Toilet ($750)
- New double-pane custom windows installed throughout ($8,000)
- New framing of overhead bed and rear bench with custom aluminum.
- New memory-foam cushions throughout, rear bench covered in custom high-end Toray vinyl [maker of ultrasuede] ($3,000)
- Custom Baja Rack roof rack ($650) with custom mounted South African Hannibal safari awning ($800)
- ARB front bull bar with IPF fog lights ($1400)
- 2 Whelen LED scene lights (from emergency vehicle industry) [$700]
- Whelen LED brake lights and back-up light (from emergency services industry) ($800)
- All new weather stripping, wheels powder coated.
- New custom rear ladder.
- Custom rear double hitch receivers and welded/reinforced frame extension.
- Custom rear receiver-mounted rack/tray.
- New Cerullo front seats ($2300)
- New cab headliner.
- Custom stereo system with new head unit, amp, 6 speakers and sub ($2200)
- Custom full paint job by Stan Chilton ($7000)
I think that covers most of it; I’m happy to answer questions from seriously interested potential buyers. I have hundreds of photos from the entire restoration process available as well.